This 4-night Pyongyang Marathon tour from Shenyang will give you an amazing, well rounded experience of North Korea starting with running alongside local Korean athletes in the marathon as you power through streets lined with Koreans cheering you on.
We will then take you on a comprehensive city tour throughout Pyongyang, including the Pyongyang Metro, the Victorious Fatherland Liberation War Museum featuring the captured spy ship the USS Pueblo, and you will get to shop with the locals at Kwangbok Supermarket where you will have the chance to use local currency.
You will also get you down to historic Kaesong near the border with South Korea to visit Panmunjom and experience the DMZ.
Shenyang in North East China is a great jump off point to North Korea as it has a range of international flights connecting it to Germany, North America and many cities throughout Asia giving you many options with which to get there. Shenyang even offers its own 144-hour visa free transit program for over 50 nationalities making it all the more appealing and convenient.
All marathon tour participants are required to attend a pre-tour briefing that covers regulations, etiquette, safety, and practicalities for travel in North Korea. The briefing lasts approximately one hour followed by a question and answer session. Please be punctual for the briefing. You can come early, meet your fellow travelers and pay your remaining fees. A proper briefing is an essential part of travel to North Korea.
Please pay close attention to the date and times of briefings in the itinerary below.
Briefing and arrival into Pyongyang
- Meet your tour leader and fellow travelers at Shenyang Taoxian Airport (SHE) at the Air Koryo check-in desk in Terminal 3 @ 11:00am for a pre-tour briefing and check-in.
- Flight departure from Shenyang on Air Koryo flight JS156 at 2:00pm. A 1-hour flight with basic lunch.
- Arrival to Pyongyang's Sunan International Airport (FNJ). DPRK immigration and customs, meet your Korean guides and transfer to the city.
- Arch of Triumph | A massive archway made for the 70th anniversary of the birth of President Kim Il Sung in 1982 and commemorating the liberation of Korea from Japanese colonial rule in 1945. Larger than its counterpart in Paris.
- Kim Il Sung Stadium & Marathon Route Preview | Visit the stadium where you will start and finish your race, and then drive the marathon route to familiarise yourself with the roads, turning points and toilet stops
- Check into the Yanggakdo International Hotel, Pyongyang - home away from home for most (but not all!) foreign visitors to Pyongyang, this 47-story hotel is located on an island in the middle of the Taedong River and offers great views of the city. Comfortable rooms and comprehensive leisure facilities: swimming pool, spa, billiards, bowling, gift shops, tea houses and beer brewed on-site.
- Optional screening of Run and Run, a DPRK film about marathon runner Yong Ho who faces the physical and mental struggles of marathon participation. After both his father and work unit manager tell him to stop running, he becomes more determined to achieve his marathon dream. The film will be shown at the Pyongyang International House of Cinema (80 RMB entry fee paid on the spot). A Koryo Tours exclusive and sure to provide you with motivation ahead of the big event.
Please note that the itinerary may differ slightly to what is above, but your tour leader will do their best to ensure that as much is covered as possible and will also add in extras when there is time such as a visit to a local bar, funfair or impromptu city walk.
We arrange your North Korean visa as part of your tour package [60 EUR]. However, given the tour starts and finishes in China you may also need to arrange a Chinese visa for your trip obtained at a Chinese diplomatic mission abroad. We recommend obtaining at least a double-entry Chinese visa for your trip.
Over 50 nationalities can obtain a visa-waiver for up to 144 hours when in transit through Shenyang Taoxian Airport (SHE) using direct international flights. Most other nationalities can transit for up to 24 hours.
Please be sure to check your visa status for travel through China while planning your trip. We are unable to arrange Chinese visas, but can provide documentation in support of visa applications upon payment of a tour deposit.
PLEASE NOTE THAT YOU WILL BE REDIRECTED TO KORYO TOURS APPLICATION SYSTEM TO COMPLETE YOUR BOOKING