As well as the Pyongyang Marathon, we will show you the highlights of Pyongyang city, including a visit to the famous Victorious Fatherland Liberation War Museum and captured spy ship USS Pueblo.
Arrival day in Pyongyang
- Free bus from the Koryo Tours office to Beijing Capital Airport Terminal 2. Exact time TBC at the pre-tour briefing. Alternatively meet the group at the Air Koryo check-in counter.
- Flight departure from Beijing on Air Koryo flight JS152 at 12:00pm. A 1.5 hour flight with basic lunch (no vegetarian option).
- Arrival to Pyongyang's Sunan International Airport (FNJ) at TBC time. DPRK immigration and customs, meet your Korean guides, and transfer to the city.
- Arch of Triumph - A massive archway made for the 70th anniversary of the birth of President Kim Il Sung in 1982 and commemorating the liberation of Korea from Japanese colonial rule in 1945. Larger than its counterpart in Paris.
- Mansudae Fountain Park -The historic centre of Pyongyang popular with local citizens after school and one weekends. Flanked by examples of ancient and modern architecture from different eras.
- Mansudae Grand Monument - Enormous bronze statues of President Kim Il Sung and Leader Kim Jong Il overlooking the centre of Pyongyang. A presentation of flowers and bow by the group is customary here. See the nearby Chollima Monument of a mythical horse said to be able to run a 'thousand li (400 km or 250 miles)'. The Chollima was symbol of the movement to rebuild the country following the devastation of the Korean War and today has come to represent speed and quality.
Overnight: Yanggakdo International Hotel, Pyongyang. Home away from home for most (but not all!) foreign visitors to Pyongyang, this 47-story hotel is located on an island in the middle of the Taedong River and offers great views of the city. Comfortable rooms and comprehensive leisure facilities: swimming pool, spa, billards, bowling, gift shops, tea houses, beer brewed on-site, and a Chinese-run casino.
Pyongyang City Tour
- Pyongyang Metro Tour - One of the deepest metro systems in the world with artwork reflecting the name of each station. Ride six stations on the Chollima Line.
- Victorious Fatherland Liberation War Museum - World-class museum exhibiting the DPRK perspective of the Korean War with artifacts, documents, photos, and lifelike dioramas. The exterior grounds house the War Victory Monument and captured equipment from the US military, including the USS Pueblo. Central to understanding the country today.
- Mangyongdae Native House - Birthplace and childhood home of President Kim Il Sung. A traditional Korean house in what is today a quiet suburban park.
- Kim Il Sung Square - Pyongyang’s central square lined with government ministries, museum and The Grand People’s Study House.
- Foreign Languages Bookshop - Store selling Korean publications translated into English, German, French, Russian, Chinese, Spanish, and Arabic.
- Tower of the Juche Idea - The tallest stone monument in the world and dedicated to the DPRK's guiding philosophy. Take the elevator to the top (5 EUR ticket) for a panoramic view of Pyongyang.
- Monument to the Party Foundation – Iconic stone hammer, sickle, writing brush representing the workers, farmers, and intellectuals which make up the Worker's Party of Korea.
- Optional screening of Comrade Kim Goes Flying, a DPRK film about a young rural coal miner, Kim Yong Mi, who dreams of becoming a trapeze artist at the Pyongyang Circus. Her plans are complicated by the arrogant trapeze star Pak Jang Phil who believes miners belong underground and not in the air. North Korea’s first "girl power" movie about a young woman achieving her dreams. Produced and directed by a British, Belgian, and Korean team. The film is 78 minutes long and will be shown at the Pyongyang International House of Cinema, a short distance from our hotel. (100 RMB entry fee). A Koryo Tours Exclusive!
Overnight: Yanggakdo International Hotel, Pyongyang.
The big event! The Pyongyang Marathon!
- Today we run the Pyongyang Marathon! The Pyongyang Marathon is the DPRK’s largest annual international sports event. Run a full-marathon, half-marathon or 10 km through the streets of Pyongyang. The race starts in Kim Il Sung Stadium
- Walk in the city centre – After lunch and a rest at the hotel, we’ll continue the tour with a walk in the city centre to cool down.
- Local Beer Bar - Relax at a local bar to wrap up an exciting day.
Overnight: Yanggakdo International Hotel, Pyongyang.
- Flight departure from Pyongyang on Air Koryo Flight JS151 at scheduled arrival at Beijing Capital Airport (PEK) Terminal 2 at 10:00am.
No extensions available
Please note that the itinerary may differ slightly to what is above but your tour leader will do their best to ensure that as much is covered as possible and will also add in extras when there is time such as a visit to a local bar or a funfair. We visit the DPRK regularly and know all the best places to go to make your trip even more unique. We will make the most of your time in the DPRK to guarantee the experience of a lifetime.
Unless you hold a valid multi entry visa for China at the time of travel, you are required to organise for a double entry visa for China for this tour.
- Return flight Beijing – Pyongyang / Pyongyang – Beijing
- All meals on the tour (these will be at local restaurants or in the hotel)
- Hotel accommodation
- A Koryo Tours tour leader, two local Korean guides, and a driver per group
- All transportation in the DPRK
- Marathon race fees (50EUR for the 10km race; 70EUR for the half marathon; 100EUR for the full marathon)
- DPRK visa fee 50 EUR
- Optional single room supplement of 50 EUR per night
- Tips for the local Korean guides and driver (approx 30 EUR total)
- Optional activities such as the lift up the Juche Tower (5 EUR) or a visit to the funfair (approx. 2 EUR entrance fee per person)
- Entry tickets for special events if applicable – for example Pyongyang Circus (approx. 20 EUR per person)
- Meals include a complimentary beer and water, but you will need to purchase extra drinks if needed
- Spending money for souvenirs