As well as the Pyongyang Marathon, we will show you the highlights of Pyongyang city, including a visit to the famous Victorious Fatherland Liberation War Museum and captured spy ship USS Pueblo.
MANDATORY PRE-TOUR BRIEFING
- Pre-tour briefing at our office in Beijing. You can attend a briefing at 2pm, 4pm, or 6pm
- Departure Beijing - Pyongyang on Air Koryo flight JS152 at 1:00pm.
- Arch of Triumph – Massive archway made for the 70th anniversary of the birth of President Kim Il Sung in 1982 and commemorating the liberation of Korea from Japanese colonial rule in 1945. Larger than its counterpart in Paris.
- Mansudae Fountain Park – The historic centre of Pyongyang. Popular with local citizens after school and on weekends. Flanked by examples of ancient, socialist, and modern architecture.
- Mansudae Grand Monument – Enormous bronze statues of President Kim Il Sung and Leader Kim Jong Il overlooking downtown Pyongyang. A presentation of flowers and bow by the group is customary here (5 EUR). Here we will also see the Chollima, or ‘thousand ri [400 mile] horse’ – a symbol of speed- commemorating the quick rebuilding of the country in the 1950’s following the Korean War.
- Option to attend a private film screening of ‘Comrade Kim Goes Flying’ at the Yanggakdo International House of Cinema
- Today we run the Pyongyang Marathon! The Pyongyang Marathon is the DPRK’s largest annual international sports event. Run a full-marathon, half-marathon or 10 km through the streets of Pyongyang. The race starts in Kim Il Sung Stadium
- Go back to the hotel for showers/rest/lunch
- City walk
- Visit to a popular beer bar
- Mangyongdae Native House - Birthplace and childhood home of President Kim Il Sung. A traditional Korean house in a beautiful natural surrounding. A place of pilgrimage for local visitors.
- Tower of the Juche Idea – Iconic tower dedicated to the DPRK’s guiding philosophy on the Taedong River. Take the elevator to the top for 5 EUR for great views of the city. At 150m this is the tallest stone monument in the world.
- Monument to the Party Foundation – Iconic structure featuring the hammer, sickle, and writing brush which make up the emblem of the Worker’s Party of Korea and represent workers, farmers, and intellectuals.
- Kim Il Sung Square - Pyongyang’s central square lined with government ministries, a museum, the Central Art Gallery, and The Grand People’s Study House. The centre of the city and where the famous parades and rallies take place.
- Foreign Language Bookshop - Store selling Korean publications translated into English, German, French, Russian, Chinese, and Spanish. Also pick up DVDs, postcards, and small works of art.
- Pyongyang Metro Tour - One of the deepest metro systems in the world with stunning artwork reflecting the name of each station. We’ll ride six stations on the Chollima Line.
- Victorious Fatherland Liberation War Museum and USS Pueblo – We’ll tour this world-class museum led by a local museum guides. Renovated in 2012 and its exhibits of Korean War from the DPRK perspective containing artifacts, documents, photos, and lifelike dioramas. The exterior grounds house the War Victory Monument and displays of Korean People’s Army Hero Equipment and captures equipment from the US military, including the spy ship USS Pueblo. Central to the understanding of the country today and highlight of the trip.
- Taedonggang Bar No. 3 - Upscale bar across the street from the Tower of the Juche Idea. There are a variety of beers on tap produced at Pyongyang’s Taedonggang Brewery outside of town (2-2.5 EUR per glass).
- Farewell dinner at Duck BBQ restaurant
- Flight Pyongyang – Beijing on Air Koryo flight JS151 with expected arrival in Beijing at 10:00am
Please note that the itinerary may differ slightly to what is above but your tour leader will do their best to ensure that as much is covered as possible and will also add in extras when there is time such as a visit to a local bar or a funfair. We visit the DPRK regularly and know all the best places to go to make your trip even more unique. We will make the most of your time in the DPRK to guarantee the experience of a lifetime.
Unless you hold a valid multi entry visa for China at the time of travel, you are required to organise for a double entry visa for China for this tour.
- Return flight Beijing – Pyongyang / Pyongyang – Beijing
- All meals on the tour (these will be at local restaurants or in the hotel)
- Hotel accommodation
- A Koryo Tours tour leader, two local Korean guides, and a driver per group
- All transportation in the DPRK
- Timing chip (runners only)
- Marathon race fees (50EUR for the 10km race; 70EUR for the half marathon; 100EUR for the full marathon)
- DPRK visa fee 50 EUR
- Optional single room supplement of 50 EUR per night
- Tips for the local Korean guides and driver (approx 30 EUR total)
- The lift up the Juche Tower (optional) 5 EUR
- Meals include a complimentary beer and water, but you will need to purchase extra drinks if needed
- Spending money for souvenirs