This tour departing from Shanghai is ideal for those looking for a short weekend break. As well as the Pyongyang Marathon, we will show you the highlights of Pyongyang city, and will also get you down to the DMZ where North and South Korea continue their decades-old face-off.
You will be staying at the Sosan Hotel on Sports Street, one of the deluxe standard hotels in Pyongyang.
- Pre-Tour briefing at Pudong Airport at approx 9pm (exact time TBC)
- Flight to Pyongyang
KAESONG & THE DMZ
- Early arrival at Pyongyang Airport
- Breakfast in Sosan Hotel
- Drive 2½ hours drive south along the ‘Reunification Highway’ to Kaesong, ancient capital of the Koryo Dynasty (918-1392 AD) located near today’s Korean Demilitarised Zone (DMZ).
- Panmunjom Truce Village – Located in the middle of the 4 km wide DMZ. Panmunjom is the site of the signing of the 1953 armistice at the end of the Korean War. This is the only location where visitors can directly view soldiers from both sides and the demarcation line dividing Korea. Usually it is possible to enter the hut straddling both Koreas and there cross temporarily into the south.
- Kaesong Koryo Museum (Songgyungwan Academy) - A former Confucian education school, now a museum on the Koryo Dynasty exhibiting historical objects, statues, pagodas, and porcelain from the time. One of Kaesong’s many UNESCO World Heritage Site. There is an excellent philatelic shop in the car park.
- Stamp Shop - Store selling stamps, postcards, local ginseng, souvenirs, art, and more. One of the best postcard collections in the country.
- Traditional lunch in Kaesong with dog meat soup option (5 EUR)
- Drive back to Pyongyang (2½ hours) and check into Sosan Hotel - a sports-themed hotel located in West Pyongyang’s Sports Village. Sport shop, bookstore, numerous bars, spa and small gym. Renovated in 2015.
- Relax/sleep time before dinner!
PYONGYANG CITY TOUR
- Mangyongdae Native House - Birthplace and childhood home of President Kim Il Sung. A traditional Korean house in a beautiful natural surrounding. A place of pilgrimage for local visitors.
- Tower of the Juche Idea – Iconic tower dedicated to the DPRK’s guiding philosophy on the Taedong River. Take the elevator to the top for 5 EUR for great views of the city. At 150m this is the tallest stone monument in the world.
- Monument to the Party Foundation – Iconic structure featuring the hammer, sickle, and writing brush which make up the emblem of the Worker’s Party of Korea and represent workers, farmers, and intellectuals.
- Kim Il Sung Square - Pyongyang’s central square lined with government ministries, a museum, the Central Art Gallery, and The Grand People’s Study House. The centre of the city and where the famous parades and rallies take place.
- Foreign Language Bookshop - Store selling Korean publications translated into English, German, French, Russian, Chinese, and Spanish. Also pick up DVDs, postcards, and small works of art.
- Pyongyang Metro Tour - One of the deepest metro systems in the world with stunning artwork reflecting the name of each station. We’ll ride six stations on the Chollima Line.
- Victorious Fatherland Liberation War Museum and USS Pueblo – We’ll tour this world-class museum led by a local museum guides. Renovated in 2012 and its exhibits of Korean War from the DPRK perspective containing artifacts, documents, photos, and lifelike dioramas. The exterior grounds house the War Victory Monument and displays of Korean People’s Army Hero Equipment and captures equipment from the US military, including the spy ship USS Pueblo. Central to the understanding of the country today and highlight of the trip.
- Optional visit to Taedonggang Bar No. 3 - Upscale bar across the street from the Tower of the Juche Idea. There are a variety of beers on tap produced at Pyongyang’s Taedonggang Brewery outside of town (2-2.5 EUR per glass).
- Option to attend a private film screening of ‘Comrade Kim Goes Flying’ at the Yanggakdo International House of Cinema
- Today we run the Pyongyang Marathon! The Pyongyang Marathon is the DPRK’s largest annual international sports event. Run a full-marathon, half-marathon or 10 km through the streets of Pyongyang. The race starts in Kim Il Sung Stadium
- Go back to the hotel for showers/rest/lunch
- City walk
- Visit to a popular beer bar
- Flight departs Pyongyang at 22:30 (exact time TBC)
Please note that the itinerary may differ slightly to what is above but your tour leader will do their best to ensure that as much is covered as possible and will also add in extras when there is time such as a visit to a local bar or a funfair. We visit the DPRK regularly and know all the best places to go to make your trip even more unique. We will make the most of your time in the DPRK to guarantee the experience of a lifetime.
Unless you hold a valid multi entry visa for China at the time of travel, you are required to organise for a double entry visa for China for this tour.
- Return flight >> Shanghai (Pudong) -- Pyongyang -- Shanghai (Pudong)
- All meals on the tour
- Hotel accommodation
- All entry fees
- A Koryo Tours tour leader, two local Korean guides and a driver (per group)
- All transportation in DPRK
- Timing chip (runners only)
- Marathon race fees (50EUR for the 10km race; 70EUR for the half marathon; 100EUR for the full marathon)
- DPRK visa fee EUR 50
- Optional single room supplement of EUR 50 per night
- Tips for the local Korean guides and driver (approx 30 EUR total)
- The lift up the Juche Tower (optional activity at EUR 5)
- Entry tickets for special events if applicable – for example, a visit to the funfair
- Meals will have a complimentary beer (and water), but you will have to pay for extra drinks above those provided. If you are vegetarian or have special dietary requirements then please inform us beforehand
- Spending money for drinks and souvenirs